Settling Your Workers’ Compensation Case in Florida
How Much is Your Workers’ Compensation Case Worth?
Sustaining an injury on the job can completely throw your life off track. Although the Florida workers’ compensation laws are designed to provide you with medical care and disability benefits if you are hurt on the job, they often don’t live up to the task.
If you reach the point where you want to settle your case, the Law Office of Christopher J. Annis, LLC offers experienced and honest representation to help you achieve the best result.
How Do Workers’ Compensation Settlements in Florida Work?
Before you agree to a workers’ compensation settlement, it is important to understand how workers’ compensation cases are valued. Consider these factors when thinking about a workers’ compensation settlement:
- Settling your case means that you will receive a lump sum of money in exchange for releasing the insurance company from any continued liability for paying workers’ compensation benefits. This includes future medical care and disability benefits.
- Settlement is completely voluntary. A workers’ compensation judge cannot order a settlement. You cannot force the insurance company to settle, and they cannot force you to settle. It must be a mutual agreement.
- The settlement amount is based on how much money the insurance company is likely to spend in the future if you leave your case open. Essentially, it is all about the projected value of your future medical care and disability benefits.
- Additional factors that can influence the projected value of future benefits include your age, other health problems, education level, work history, average weekly wage, permanent impairment rating and your doctor’s prognosis regarding future medical care.
- Life expectancy is also very important because your right to workers’ comp benefits ends if you pass away.
If you want to settle your case, it is important to speak with an attorney to fully understand how cases are valued, so you can obtain the maximum value for your case.
Legal Advice on Florida Workers’ Compensation Settlements
With offices in Gainesville, Florida, the Law Office of Christopher J. Annis, LLC is committed to offering excellent and individualized legal representation to help you obtain the workers’ compensation benefits you deserve.