Florida Workers Compensation Attorney
Offering Highly Qualified Legal Representation in Gainesville, Lake City, Live Oak, Ocala and all of North Florida
Were You Injured on the Job?
Workers’ compensation is a program governed by most states that provides workers with financial and medical benefits for job-related accidents and injuries. Individuals who are hurt on the job and require medical attention for a work-related injury are protected under these laws so they can obtain monetary compensation and medical care to treat their injury or illness.
Each state has its own workers’ compensation laws and processes — and they can be difficult to understand — especially if you are in pain and under stress due to your inability to work.
If you are unfamiliar with how workers’ compensation works, then it may be best to consult with a Florida workers’ compensation attorney for legal advice.
How to File a Worker’s Compensation Claim
To ensure you get your workers’ compensation claim started off correctly, be mindful of the following steps:
- Report the accident to your supervisor right away. Accidents must be reported within thirty days after they happen. If you file a claim outside this time frame, your claim may be denied completely.
- Report an accident even if you weren’t severely injured or did not miss any work. Your injury may not go away on its own and if you wait too long, your claim will likely be denied.
- Seek immediate medical attention. Even if your employer will not send you to his or her own workers’ comp doctor, see a physician on your own, so at least your injury is documented.
- Workers’ compensation laws require an injured worker to see a physician designated by the employer or their insurance company in order for workers’ comp to be liable for paying the doctor’s bill. If you are forced to see a physician on your own, make sure you tell them that the accident is work related.
- You should receive documentation about workers’ compensation and your claim from your employer. It is important to read this documentation carefully so you understand the claims process.
Why You Should Hire a Workers’ Compensation Attorney
Although workers’ compensation is designed to provide injured workers with immediate medical care and disability pay, many claims are denied or handled improperly.
The reasons for this vary — from an employer not doing his or her part in reporting the accident to the insurance company or your employer claiming that you were not injured on the job.
One way to ensure that you promptly receive the benefits to which you are entitled is to follow the claims process correctly. Working with an experienced and reputable workers’ compensation attorney can help you fulfill this task.
The Law Office of Christopher J. Annis, LLC stands by its clients and fights for their rights throughout the workers’ compensation process. The Law Office of Christopher J. Annis, LLC is happy to meet with clients for free consultations and case evaluations to discuss possible legal options and provide legal guidance.
Feel free to give us a call, visit us online or at our office in Gainesville. If you can’t come to us, we can come to you.